Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner (and also part of The Broke and the Bookish team) has put together another end of the year book survey. Feel free to fill out your own survey & link-up at Jamie's blog.
Best In Books 2012
You should know that it was NOT easy for me to narrow down my answers.
*looks away so I don't have to see the books with hurt feels*
1. Best Book You Read In 2012?
Adult fiction: Skipping A Beat by Sarah Pekkanen
Such A Rush by Jennifer Echols
Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Once by Anna Carey
Shatter Me/Destroy Me/Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
False Memory by Dan Krokos (It inspired me to write a poem, what? what?)
Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin (I'm convinced Michelle is trying to give me a heart attack with her books but Noah makes up for it.)
Under the Never Sky & Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (Team Darkling anyone?)
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Burn for Burn by Jenny Han
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Sweet Evil ~ This wasn't anything like I expected - fantastic!
Shadow & Bone ~ Fantasy isn't usually my favorite thing to read but I couldn't put this book down! I've also never fallen so hard for the would-be bad guy before either. Have you met The Darkling? No? Well, here ya go...
Your welcome. ;)
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
My Life Next Door and Something Like Normal
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
The SHADE Trilogy by Jeri Smith-Ready
The Covenant and Lux Series' by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Both of these are fun and addictive!
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Jennifer L. Armentrout, Leigh Bardugo, Anna Carey, Trish Doller, Dan Krokos, Tahereh Mafi, Jeri Smith-Ready, Veronica Rossi
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Shadow and Bone FTW!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Shadow and Bone, Once, Unravel Me, Through the Ever Night
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
I can't even count...
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2)
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Warner, from the Shatter Me series because he's probably the first "bad boy" I ever "swooned" over. This may have something to do with the dream I had in which he made me brownies. You can read more about that here.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
Something Like Normal. I wanted to *clutch* all of the Marines. Everywhere.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Eve, by Anna Carey
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
“I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself just walking around to find you, not for any reason, just out of habit, because I'd seen something that I wanted to tell you about or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realize that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me why we don't belong together," he said fiercely.” ~ Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
Longest — Reached (Matched #3) by Ally Condie This was a 500+ pages.
Shortest — Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTC moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
My Life Next Door
Deity. O.O *fans face*
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Tris and Four from Insurgent. A lot of people were torn about Tris in this sequel but I tried to remind people that she is grieving and grief makes us do and say things we wouldn't normally do. Four allowed her to have the space she needed without letting her compromise who she is which I thought was awesome.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously.
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Timepiece by Myra McEntire (Kaleb. That is all.)
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Storm by Brigid Kemmerer. Val at Stuck In Books tweeted about this series and I decided to give it a shot. The entire "Elementals" series is really enjoyable AND it takes place in the area close to where I grew up.
Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 (optional)
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?
The Book Barbies which is run by Racquel (and now Sharon). Racquel and I *met* on the twitter, often share books with each other and she's just awesome!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?
It's so hard to choose just one but I had a lot of fun with my review for Shades of Earth by Beth Revis, probably because I got to use the word, "FREX" a lot. ;)
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Anything that had to do with the YACrushTourney and #TeamPatch was a lot of fun! To read those posts click here, here, and here.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
This is hard to choose because I've read so many...
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The YACrushTourney which was hosted by the fabulous girls over at the YASisterhood! I was fortunate enough to be the advocate for Patch Cipriano, from Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush Hush series and have met some amazing people from around the world as a result. I also had the chance to meet Becca Fitzpatrick and her assistant Jenn and Rebecca from the FallenArchangel fan site.
|Tahereh Mafi, Me, Anna Carey & Veronica Rossi|
When Anna Carey sat next to me at dinner, I felt like I was sitting next to a celebrity. :D You can read more about my trip down the rabbit hole of awesome here.
|Me (looking like a total creeper), Dan Krokos, Malissa Coy (book buddy)|
|Malissa, Me, & Liz Norris|
This trip to D.C. solidified the notion that if I'm around, awkward won't be too far behind. Thankfully Dan and Liz are such a good sports. You can read all about my "Book Signings & The Pusher Workout" here.
|Jeri Smith-Ready, Jennifer L. Armentrout & Me|
This was my first year attending the Baltimore Book Festival which I didn't even know existed until after the fact last year. It's also where I had the chance to meet and hang out with Jeri Smith-Ready and Jennifer L. Armentrout. Read more about that visit here.
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
Hmm, I've had a LOT of great book blogging moments this year but the interviews have been the most fun!
Interview with Dan Krokos for the Authors Are Rockstars Blog Tour
Interview with Sebastian, main character in What A Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
When I announced that I was Patch's advocate in the YACrushTourney. I had NO IDEA how many amazing fans Patch has!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I'm always grateful whenever someone takes the time to stop by, even if they don't leave a comment, something I'm terrible at. I'll spend an hour flitting through people's blogs and completely forget to leave a comment.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
The self-pub books I read earlier this year that have now been put out by traditional publishers, like Easy by Tammara Webber. It's a cool feeling to know the rest of the book world will now get to see just how awesome these books are!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I set a goal of reading 100 books, and as of this post, I've read 215. I'm not even sure how that happened...
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller, False Sight by Dan Krokos & Rise by Anna Carey
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
I hope to keep "pushing" all the great books I've read to my blog readers as well as those who visit YABC.